San Francisco is easily recognized by it’s iconic Golden Gate Bridge (not pictured), cable cars and colorful Victorian houses. The city and nearby Silicon Valley are known for their entrepreneurial spirit and startup mentality. This draws many people to San Francisco and creates jobs as well as businesses of all kinds.
This means…you guessed it, lots of hospitality jobs. San Francisco’s job market is one of contradictions. On the one hand, demand is high, especially for hospitality positions such as front office manager, security and guest service agent, as well as servers, hosts and foodrunners. We have also seen a strong job market for positions such as housekeeping, laundry attendant, and janitorial staff.
Even still, is a bit more complicated, as the cost of living in San Francisco is one of the highest in the country. Rent in San Francisco is starting at over $2,000 per month for a studio apartment. This often means that most people employed in the hospitality industry have to share a living space, have multiple jobs, or live outside of the city and commute.
Nevertheless, San Francisco is one of the most exciting cities in the country and hotel jobs are not likely to decrease any time soon. Below we have compiled a list of helpful resources to get you started on your San Francisco hotel job search. If you have other helpful resources, please let us know in the comments below.
Hospitality and Hotel Jobs in San Francisco Statistics
- Hospitality jobs have increased by 1% each year in San Francisco
- Over the past year, San Francisco has had a 2% increase in salary and wages
- The average Front Desk Manager salary in San Francisco is $58,766
- The hospitality industry employs nearly 280,000 people in the San Francisco area.
Population and Job Growth in San Francisco
- 2015-2016 yielded a population spike of just under 10,000 new San Franciscans
- From 2016-2017, San Francisco’s population grew by 8,260 people.
- As of July 2017, San Francisco’s estimated population was 884,363 people.
- Overall employment has grown by 2% over the past year
- NEWH, the Hospitality Industry Network, is the premier networking resource for the hospitality industry, providing scholarships, education, leadership development, recognition of excellence, and business development opportunities.
- Hotel Council of San Francisco is a non-profit trade association founded in 1987 to advocate on behalf of our hotel and allied members to ensure economic vitality of the hospitality industry in San Francisco.
- San Francisco Business Portal is the ultimate resource for starting, running, and growing a business in San Francisco.
- California Hotel & Lodging Association protects the rights and interests of the California lodging industry.
Where to Find Hotel Jobs in San Francisco
- Proven Job Board: The #1 job post site for small businesses.
- Instawork: Helps local businesses quickly fill permanent and temporary openings with the most qualified professionals in their communities.
- Craigslist: Provides local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, services, local community, and events.
- Simply Hired: A job search engine with 30 million monthly users that is active in 24 countries and 12 languages.
- Indeed: With Indeed, you can search millions of jobs online to find the next step in your career.
- Hospitality Online: Search thousands of hotel, restaurant, and resort jobs on Hospitality Online.
- Poached: The nation’s largest job board for the restaurant & hospitality industry.